Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Buffy Season 8 is not for me

I just recently purchased the DVDs of Seasons 1 to 7 of buffy the vampire slayer. Half way through the collection i learned that a season 8 of the show was going to come out in comic book form. I haven't finished the DVDs yet but i already have the first five issues of the comics which i intend to read when i finish season 7. The Comic is written by Joss Whedon, the writer, director, and producer of the TV show. As i browsed through the comics that i purchased, i was quite disappointed to know that the art inside is way inferior from the really nice painted covers of the comic. I really expected to get killer art with a metal soundtrack from this book, but ended up with weak unrealistic art which never drew me in to the story.

I come from the school of thought that art and writing go hand in hand to make a book special. I know how Great art can get ruined by poor writing (Jim Lee's run on Superman) and vice versa, and how when a great art and great story telling come hand in hand, a true masterpiece is created ("Batman Hush" at least it was a masterpiece in my eyes). That being said, the buffy comic seems to still be selling well due to fans of the TV series and whedons other works as well. I have personally stopped purchasing the book after issue five as a new writer, albeit with a good writing pedigree, is set to takeover from Joss.

Dont think im a hater or a very superficial person by judging the book due to its art style, its just that money doesnt grow on trees and with the high prices of comics i expect to get good art and storytelling. Dont get me started on the Battlestar Galactica Comic or this post will never end. See ya!

No comments: